9 Downsizing Tips To De-Clutter And De-Stress Your Move
When singles or families are downsizing, or right-sizing, once their existing long-time home has become too large for them, one of the most difficult parts of the move is deciding on what to eliminate.
In a simple world, you’d just take the opportunity to start over… get rid of everything you have right now, buy all new and have a fresh start.
But of course, it definitely is not that simple for many people. There are memories of all that took place in their home including perhaps the furniture which may have sentimental value or those boxes of books, mementos and family keepsakes.
The move itself may be from a space that has 1,500 to 3,000 sf into a much smaller space in the 600 to 1,200 sf range, depending on whether the new home is a condominium or a senior- or assisted-living facility.
Most down-sizing families are overwhelmed and don’t know where to start. In many cases, it falls to family members or professional moving consultants to help with deciding what to take and what to give up and break the process down into manageable tasks.
People will need to look at their belongings in a different way. Typically, 80% of what they own are standard, off-the-shelf items which can easily be replaced while the other 20% are those ‘special memories’ items that have high monetary or sentimental value.
Once this categorization has been made, the next step is to ‘downsize’ the quantities of those items… maybe cut back the dining table place settings from 8 to 4 for example.
To help with your downsizing, try and live by these 9 rules…
- Keep open garbage bags for ‘giving away’, ’throwing away' and ‘keeping’ handy and, in the first go-around, try to keep the number of bags evenly filled - think of how someone else might appreciate receiving what you’re giving up
- Reduce the quantities of everything - plates, glasses, candle sticks, vases, sheets, towels and more - all need to be pared down to much smaller numbers
- Try not to impose some of your items onto family members when they don’t have the space or the same memories attached to them
- Donate as much as possible to charities, refugee centres and to new Canadians who may need them
- Pick the easy stuff to start with… do a general decluttering of those piles in corners and on chairs or cabinets which seem to grow by themselves sometimes… and throw LOTS out
- Start using up any canned goods on the shelf and food in your freezer so you won’t have to move them
- If you have lots of lead time, commit to 15-30 minutes daily to the ‘throwing out’ phase - you’ll soon see some progress
- Clothes tend to be hard to get rid of. If you haven’t worn it in the last few years, it’s time to let it go
- Family photos and keepsakes are very difficult to let go of. Consider if they could be digitized and preserved so current and future generations can enjoy them more easily
If you can, take this as a golden opportunity to record stories around family mementos and photo albums… you’ll really appreciate having access to these family voice or video recordings in later years!
If you are going to sell your suite in the next 1 to 9 months, what you do right now can make a difference of thousands of dollars in your sale price, and there are some simple things you can do forthwith to make sure you get "Top-Dollar" when you do sell.
HERE ARE 3 FREE SERVICES YOU MAY WANT TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF RIGHT NOW
First, is our FREE "Pin-Point Price" Analysis, where I can take a closer in-person look at your condo and prepare a very specific price for your suite. This price will be much more precise than the general range that you can get automatically from the site - and we guarantee in writing to sell your condo at the "Pin-Point Price" or higher in less than 32-days.
Second, is our FREE "Room-By-Room Review", where I do a 20-minute walk-thru and make specific recommendations about which fix-ups or improvements you should (and should not) do to prepare your suite for sale. I will point out the lowest cost, highest return improvements you can make to help sell your condominium quickly and for more money.
Third, if you would like, I will include your condo in our "Silent Market" of condominiums that are not yet on the market. Because we generate so much buyer interest from our website, Facebook and Google advertising and other proactive marketing, we may be able to find a buyer for your condo without even putting it on the market… saving you both time and money.
These 3 services are FREE. The Room-By-Room Review takes about an 20 minutes, and we can arrange a time during the day or evening, whenever is most convenient for you.